Friday, July 8, 2016

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout | BOOK REVIEW

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Covenant #1
Published October 2011


Synopsis:The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.
Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is.
If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

My Review (with spoilers):



I almost picked up this book almost 2 years ago, but I hesitated because I've heard that it's very similar to the Vampire Academy series by Rachelle Mead. (For those of you that don't know me that's one of my favorite series ever.) So I really wasn't interested in reading a story that someone has just knocked off another popular series. 
Then the other day I randomly decided to go ahead and pick it up and see for myself. While I do think there are tons of similarities, I'm not going to spend this whole review discussing them. I don't think that would be very fun for you all to read, or for me to review.

While I had some problems with the world building and the writing itself, this was a fun, entertaining read. I really think that we needed to know more about the school Alex was trying to get back into, however. I was curious what kind of classes they took (did they just learn to beat each other up all the time?) I was curious about WHO went there, like what ages, etc. 

I never really understood why Pures and Halfs couldn't marry, but more than that, I don't understand the Half-Bloods that are slaves. It just doesn't make sense to me to have a world where a half-blood can be a slave, a guard, or a Sentinel? Those are all very very different things and I don't understand how some get to be one thing while others are slaves. And people just seem okay with it? Whenever Alex was talking about how if she doesn't prove that she deserves back in the school she will become a slave, and I just kept getting frustrated thinking why wouldn't you run away? Live in the mortal world again? 

I've read the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout so I know she's pretty good at writing romances. While I really liked Aiden, I wasn't ever really sure what I thought about him and Alex together. I like stories where either the two main people are friends first (then fall in love) or they don't like each other at all (and then later fall in love.) Like many others, I don't like instalove and I like there to be some conflict. I suppose they have the conflict of not being able to be together because of their society's ridiculous rules, but other than that they were all over each other. 

What did everyone think of Seth? I didn't really have much of an opinion on him at first. All we really knew was he was the Apollyon. (I also guessed as soon as Alex started reading about Apollyons that she would be the second.) I sort of hope Jennifer doesn't make this into a love triangle with Alex, Seth, and Aiden. Then again I didn't love their romance so maybe her and Seth will work out better? I don't know.

The scene when her mother took her back to make her into a Daimon was terrifying. I really thought that they were going to turn her, and then the rest of the series she was going to be hunted and hated by everyone. I'm so happy she escaped.

While I didn't love this book I still thought it was fun and that it COULD get pretty good. These next books really have potential so I'll be picking up the next for sure!

**3.5/5 stars*

Have you read this series? Did you think the series got better from here? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment